While most air heaters are electric, whether they are electric or oil-fired, there is another type of radiant heater that uses propane.
Such a device is much more portable because it is not connected to a power outlet via a power cord.
While electric heaters can only be used where there is an electrical outlet, propane heating can, of course, be used in a wider variety of environments – in boats and shelters not connected to the electricity grid, in tents, garages, warehouses, building trailers, sheds, decks, verandas, cabins, fishing cabins, truck tarpaulins and sheds – wherever you want to keep warm and where electricity is not an option.
Now let’s look at the pros and cons of using this type of heating:
- The Big Buddy generates a lot of heat, has a maximum capacity of 18,000 BTU/HR and can heat up to 400 square meters.
- Maximum heating efficiency is guaranteed by the combination of radiant heating and fan convection.
- The supplied heating level is controlled by a 4-point temperature controller. The piezoelectric ignition is included in the delivery.
- Safety functions include a built-in oxygen sensor and a rocker switch that switches the heater off when it is activated. This guarantees safe, reliable and sovereign operation.
- The light carrying handle makes this stove very portable.
- A heavy-duty safety net provides extra protection against ceramic double burners. They also have shock-absorbing insulation.
- The heat reflector is covered with porcelain to prolong its service life.
- Thanks to its robustness, you won’t have a stove that collapses if it gets a little rough during the journey.
- The hinged mounting of the regulator makes it easy to install the fuel bottle, and the hinged valves attached to the bottle provide extra protection and style.
- A hose compartment is provided for convenient storage of additional connecting hoses up to 12 meters in length.
- Mobile heating Mr. De Heater Portable Big Buddy can be equipped with a 20-pound device. An additional 5 or 12 litre propane cylinder and hose and the required fuel filter can be installed at a later date.
- Since this room heater # does not require electricity to operate, it can be used indoors in the event of a power failure.
- Electricity is needed to run the fan. This can be done with 4 D-batteries or an extra 6-volt power supply (not included). However, you do not need to use a fan. The stove works perfectly, even without it.
- Additional connecting pipes are also not included in the delivery when the heating is purchased.
- The heating is not powered by propane tanks. They have to be bought separately.
- If you are using an additional 20-pound fuel tank, fuel filters on the hose and a gas regulator must be used.
Features and benefits
- Rotary knob and individual controls, L 10.25 inch x W 15.50 inch x H 16.50 inch.
- Low oxygen automatic shutdown.
- Randomly tiltable safety switch.
- Heated up to 400 square meters.
- Control knob for low, medium and high heating level for stable temperatures.
You can worry about the safety of the stove in a room where propane burns. The Mr. Big Buddy portable stove can be used safely indoors, even if common sense tells you not to leave open fire devices unattended. It’s just not worth sleeping with an open fire, like in a bedroom. We also recommend 18 square inch openings.
If you do not want to use the heater for 24 hours or more, turn off the tank and burn the last propane in the hose. In other words:
- Turn on the heater at a low level.
- Turn off the tank, but leave the heating on with the propane still in the hose.
- When the heater’s discharged, turn it off.
This ensures that there is no propane in the hoses that you may forget and that can catch fire if the hoses are disconnected. This is only a recommended precaution.
This heater uses two 1 lb. propane batteries or an extra 20 pounds of propane. Tank when purchasing an extra hose. At low temperature two cans of 1 kg give you 12 hours of warmth, at high temperature only 2 hours. With 20 pounds of propane, you get more than 20 hours of high-temperature heat.
If you use an extra 20-pound tank, filters are needed in most of the pipes that supply the stove with unregulated (high pressure) propane gas. If you connect unregulated gas to this stove, it is necessary to connect a disposable tank to the connection, so that the built-in regulators reduce the pressure from the inside. This is because the filters catch the oils that are pressed out of most hoses at this high pressure and end up in the gas stream.
If you use a quick opening on this stove, you must have a regulator on the gas supply. If you have a regulator connected directly to the tank, all the gas is under low pressure and you don’t need a filter (because the hoses are not compressed at all to lose oil).
If you plan to purchase this heater and use an external tank with it, you should consider one that eliminates the need for a filter. Although the F273704 pipe is slightly more expensive than the others, this is a unique cost factor that eliminates a different connection and possible leakage point.
Feedback from other customers
5.0 of 5 stars – great product – I’ve used it for years
Mr. Big Buddy Portable Propane Heater…
COLD WEATHER PERFORMANCE: For the past five years I have been using Big Buddy stoves to heat two small cabins of 200 square meters each with vaulted ceilings. Without Big Buddy my main cabin costs on average 37 F in winter and my studio 35 F. With Big Buddy I can keep any cabin on toast from 65 – 70 F. I used to have a little Mr. Buddy who used to heat my tent in the winter for two weeks in a row while I worked in the mountains.
5.0 or 5 stars – Large radiator for the price of
Richard Moody – Confirmed purchase Mr. Big Buddy Portable Stove Propane Heater
What a beautiful stove! We used it for walks in low temperatures in a canvas type tent, and it keeps the tent warm. We only started him on a low rig (an illuminated side) and he repels enough heat to heat a 10×14 tent. You can screw in two cans (one on each side) or use a hose adapter to connect to a larger bottle. The product is well designed, durable and easy to use thanks to the electronic ignition. There is also room for batteries if you want the fan to dissipate heat. I’ve never used this feature because the heat is well transferred. The price is good for this product and there are many YouTube videos about how it works, etc. We wear it every time we hike in winter or on hilltops where the temperature is cold enough to absorb some heat in the tent.
5.0 5 Star – The best heater I have ever used in.
Mitchell Whiteman – Proven purchase Mr. Big Buddy Portable Propane Heater
Many camping stoves say they give off a lot of heat, but in the tent, in the mountains, this heat can quickly disappear. This stove is an exception. You may need two one-pound propane tanks, which is very useful.
With a medium setting, you should replace the BOT cans after about 6 hours. If you lift it, you’ve got about 3 hours.
So, on my next trip I plan to buy an adapter to connect a 5 or 20 pound propane tank.
I give this stove five stars. Because even with an average installation, the 14X13 tent kept the temperature 15 degrees warmer than outside. At high temperatures, I estimate that the inside temperature would be 25 degrees higher. There’s a big difference.
Buy this. END. VAN. HISTORIAN.
If you need heating on the road or in a place where there is no electricity, this is an excellent option. It generates heat and you don’t need a built-in fan to circulate the air. It is portable and fully autonomous when using a one-pound (16.4 oz) propane cylinder.
The heat is generated by an open flame passing through the burner tile. Each open flame is a potential source of combustion, so the stove must be used responsibly. Still, you get a lot for your money. It received a very high rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon among more than 1000 customer reviews.
Below you will find more detailed information and feedback from satisfied customers:
mr heater big buddy,big buddy indoor/outdoor portable propane heater
Disclosure: We are a professional review company & our reviews are not biased towards any of the products we review. We test each product thoroughly and give marks to only the very best that is given by our author. We are very independently owned & the opinions expressed here are our own. However, if you purchase anything after clicking the links present in the articles then we get some commissions for it which help maintaining the websites expenses like servers, security etc.